Critical Media Literacy

The term critical media literacy was introduced to me by Evelyn Obamos, a PEP (Pilipino Educational Partnership) teacher that I worked with.  From my understanding, critical media literacy is the symbiosis of Paulo Friere's critical pedagogy with technology.  "Oppressors are using science and technology as unquestionably powerful instruments for their purpose:  the maintenance of the oppressive order through manipulation and repression" (Friere, 1970, pg 58).  Technology has been used as a means to displace, segregate, and divide individuals.  Instructional designers must find ways to integrate technology in the classroom that is organic and promotes humanization and liberation.  I will share my projects and ideas on this blog and how I envision technology being integrated in classrooms.  

Comments

Popular Posts