Being a better graphic designer

I am reading a book called Creating Graphics for Learning and Performance: Lessons in Visual Literacy by Linda Lohr (2008) and I'm amazed on the detail concerning visual literacy and how it impacts learning.  There is section where Lohr highlights three points in order to become a better graphic designer:
1.) Leave the work to the graphic designer expert
2.) become a better graphic designer
3.) learn how to communicate with a graphic designer to reach the end goal

These three points are taken from Lohr's reading and I especially like the 3rd point.  There are many times where I try my best as an educator to create a design that it takes time away from instruction.  I find that I have some creative design ideas but there are times where I feel like I force myself to create something.  At those times, I have to learn to rely on collaborating with others who may be better graphic designers to reach my intended goal of design.  The other day I was lesson planning with my co-teacher and she had a better grasp on the design aspect creating the e-slides and it was then I realized to learn to work with her to make sure that our intended instructional goal was met.  As an instructional designer, one must balance between the realm of graphic designing and instructional design. 

Comments

Popular Posts